fbpx skip to Main Content

How Do I Pay for My Medical Bills After a Car Accident?

 If you were injured in a car accident in Virginia, you’re not alone. According to data published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), an estimated 2.74 million people in the U.S. were injured across more than six million police-reported crashes in 2019 alone.

Serious injuries can leave accident victims unable to work and overwhelmed by unmanageable medical bills. If you’re struggling to stay afloat due to the cost of necessary medical care after an accident, you might wonder how you’ll pay for your treatment and other living expenses.

Depending on your unique circumstances, several different options could be available. Read on or contact an experienced Virginia car crash lawyer with Herbert E. Maxey, Jr., P.C., for an initial consultation to learn more. 1-800-248-1950  website herbertmaxey.com

File an Insurance Claim or Lawsuit Against the Other Driver

If another driver was at fault, you could seek compensation from their insurance provider. Virginia drivers must carry at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident in bodily injury liability coverage, which pays for other people’s medical costs if the insured driver is responsible for the crash. Unfortunately, the insurance company is unlikely to pay your medical costs as you incur them.

In most cases, you’ll need to wait until you reach maximum medical improvement (MMI) to submit your claim. MMI is the stage in your recovery process when your condition can’t be improved by additional treatment. Once you reach MMI, you can work with your attorney to add up your medical bills and submit a demand package to the other driver’s insurer.

If the other driver or their insurance provider tries to prevent you from getting the full and fair compensation you deserve, your lawyer can help you file a lawsuit. In most cases, you have just two years from the date of the accident to take legal action. That’s why it’s important to act quickly after any car crash.

File a Claim with Your Own Insurance Provider

If you were at fault for the accident or the at-fault driver was uninsured or underinsured, the other driver’s insurance policy might not cover your medical expenses. If your own policy includes the right coverage, you could make up the difference by filing a claim with your insurance company.

Although it’s not required in Virginia, MedPay insurance coverage is designed to pay your medical costs regardless of who was responsible for the crash. Uninsured (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) bodily injury coverage can also cover your medical bills if the other driver has insufficient insurance or flees the scene of the accident. If you carry either type of coverage, you could submit your bills to your own provider for reimbursement.

If you were involved in an accident while driving a company vehicle or conducting work-related business, you might also be able to claim medical benefits from your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance provider.

Ask Medical Providers to Bill Your Health Insurance

If you have private health insurance coverage through your employer, your spouse, or the federal exchange, you could ask your hospital or healthcare provider to submit your bills directly to your health insurer. Just because you were injured in a car wreck doesn’t mean your insurer will reject your claim.

Waiting to pay your medical bills until your personal injury case is resolved can impact your credit, so it’s a good idea to ask your health insurance provider to cover expenses in the interim. However, your insurer might demand repayment from you if you win compensation through another claim.

If you’re unable to rely on insurance and have no grounds for a lawsuit, you might still be able to arrange a manageable payment plan with your healthcare provider. An attorney can help you understand your options fully and, if necessary, negotiate with hospitals or other medical providers on your behalf.

If you need help call Herbert E. Maxey, Jr. at 1-800-248-1950 or contact Mr. Maxey through his website herbertmaxey.com.

Back To Top